In breaking news (and also breaking our maxim to “not publish new stories on the Sabbath”), Cardinal Dolan and Stephen Colbert got together at Fordham University to tell jokes… or, really, to talk about faith and joy. A couple of us here at TJP got to feel like media professionals for the first time – you can see the results in Sam Sawyer’s A Cardinal and a Comedian Walk Into a Gym. This was especially special for us because the event, hosted by Fr. James Martin, was blacked out to the media. Once that embargo broke, though, the NYTimes and AP both had run-downs of some of the evening’s best jokes. Sam’s got something better: what the event was really about.
- On the continuing faith, science, and atheism beat:
- Also, and we swear this is not a cry for chastity help, Brendan Busse is taking cold showers and waking up to the world around him.
- Not even writers can take it with them, but they leave something behind for us. Perry Petrich’s got the weekly “You Can’t Take It With You.”
- Not ones to leave the opening weekend of America’s most popular game untouched, Vinny Marchionni and Matt Spotts punch/counterpunch at each other about four of the NFL’s hottest topics.
- And, as we grudgingly move into fall, Tim O’Brien looks back at his summer retreat and realizes that both Dostoevsky and the Avett Brothers know the weight of lies.
We’re always glad to have you with us at TJP. Just like #Dolbert, that’s no joke.