1. Labor is a right with a history of wrongs.
2. Labor infuses life with a meaning that not even retirement can take away.
3. Labor is a misnomer. It begins nine months earlier than they say it does.
4. Labor is the smile mom forced to snuff out her yawn after working third shift.
5. Labor is passing up Friday happy hour with the crew – again – to pick up the kids.
6. Labor is providing your children enough money so they can do something… but not so much that they do nothing.
7. Labor is paying private school tuition instead of getting that new car you wanted.
8. Labor robs life of indolence to reward it with satisfaction.
9. Labor is the scratchy calloused palms your grandpa developed, so you wouldn’t have to.
10. Labor is asking the kids how school was, knowing they won’t, or can’t return the favor.
11. Labor is losing your weekend to host a sleepover.
12. Labor is letting the kids pitch in with housework, even when it’d just be easier to do it yourself.
13. Labor is skipping dinner with friends to hear high schoolers’ confessions until midnight, then saying three masses in the morning.
14. Labor is searching for something – anything – redeemable about that clown you work with.
15. Labor is the crucible that shows you what you are capable of… and what you are not.
16. Labor brings together greatness.
17. Labor affects families.
18. Labor is admitting mistakes, and asking forgiveness.
19. Labor begins when the honeymoon ends.
20. Labor fills the potholes of the soul with purpose.
21. Labor groans at sunrise, but sighs contentment at sunset.
22. Labor is being the only parent (for goodness sake!) who slices up oranges for after their t-ball game.
23. Labor is compensated creativity.
24. Labor is sliding crisp $20 bills in First Communion cards… because you won’t drag your niece into the fight with your brother.
25. Labor is choosing your battles wisely.
26. Labor is deciding when to give someone one more chance… and when not to.
27. Labor is abdicating your seat at the center of the universe.
28. Labor is surprising your spouse with little acts of love – and getting the kids to pitch in.
29. Labor makes you appreciate a long weekend.
30. Labor is living on after he dies, forgiving (both of) your mistakes, and never letting life’s challenges take away your smile.
31. Labor is thinking you’re going out to save the world, only to find that the world will save you.
32. Labor without heart is toil; labor with love is your vocation.
Labor, in all its forms, may it be blessed by God on this Labor Day.
Photo credits (in order of appearance):
“Strikers during the 1933 Dressmakers’ Union strike take a break in a diner” by Kheel Center on Flikr
“Happiness” by foreverdigital on Flickr
“Pregnant Profile II” by mahalie on Flickr
“My Kids & Me” by Theresa Martell on Flickr
“budweisermakesaclamatoblend” by Rob! on Flickr
“Kim Kardashian wearing Benjamin Eyewear ‘Cindy‘” by Guise Archive on Flickr
#fins #usa #plymouth #antiquecars #kennedy” by jenstrawbrax on Flickr
“The garden gang” by Pink Iguana on Flickr
“Hands” by andhong09 on Flickr
“Kids chillin in School van” by v i p e z on Flickr
“Ahhh creepiest dolls ever” by Seoulful Adventures on Flickr
“Helping Dad” by Kei! on Flickr
“Mobile Confession” by Sr. Samolo on Flickr
“HaHaHa………I Love My Job!” by [email protected]! on Flickr
“Stress” by Big Max Power on Flickr
“Dorothy Day and Mother Teresa” by Jim Forest on Flickr
“Rutas trazadas” by jpazkual on Flickr
“Ignore previous cookie.” by Jenn Vargas on Flickr
“If you are about to ‘Burn all your bridges’, make sure you don’t want to come back!” by Neil Moralee on Flickr
“At the front of the shop.” by Neil Moralee on Flickr
“The weary traveler” by Neil Moralee on Flickr
“DSC08049” by Totoro’s Expy on Flickr
“Hard Workers…..” by viewfinder_doha on Flickr
“Alisa Prepared for First Communion” by Philipbouchard on Flickr
“Rooster Fight” by Rene Bastiaanssen on Flickr
“Please forgive me” by dhammza on Flickr
“Princess Aurora” by canhasal on Flickr
“Helping my dad make breakfast” by unertlkm on Flickr
“Photo” by jenstrawbrax on Flickr
“Barbara” by Neil Moralee on Flickr
“Compassion Bloggers visit Nicaragua” by compassionbloggers on Flickr
“Pope Kissing Feet” from www.cbc.ca